At the end of my interviews, when given the opportunity, I’m struggling to figure out the best questions to ask to set myself apart from other candidates?
You should be prepared with 5-10 questions depending on how much time they will allow you.
- “How will you measure the success of the person in this position?”
- “What skills do you think are necessary in this position?”
- “What are some of the challenges you expect the person in this position to face?”
- “Can you describe a typical day or week in the job?”
- “How long did the previous person in the role hold the position? What has turnover in the role generally been like?”
- “What are you hoping this person will accomplish in their first six months and in their first year?”
- “Thinking back to people you’ve seen do this work previously, what differentiated the ones who were good from the ones who were really great at it?”
- “How would you describe the culture here? What type of people tend to really thrive here, and what type don’t do as well?”
- “What do you like about working here?”
- “What’s your timeline for next steps?”
- “When do you hope to fill this position?”