Challenge: Emily graduated from the University of Illinois with a Bachelor of Arts in Communications. She was struggling to figure out how to get started with her career search since graduation in May 2021. From the beginning, Emily wanted to focus on the marketing department of an organization.
Next Steps: Jim worked with Emily to help her develop a strategic plan that built her confidence and helped her move forward
We coached Emily on the following:
- Articulate Emily’s strengths and the stories she could use to craft her 30-second commercial/elevator pitch
- She ultimately determined Digital marketing analyst as her career path based on some informational interviews
- Since Emily lacked some of the skills necessary, we discussed a plan to take online courses to build her skillset
- We role-played and focused on how to answer behavioral-based interviewing questions based on the job description
- Helped Emily prepare an Interview template she could utilize in all interviews moving forward
- Showed Emily how to reach out to a recruiter on LinkedIn to gain another way into an organization
- Debriefed after each interview to determine what went well and tough questions she wanted to review to improve for future interviews
Outcome: Emily recently landed a job as a digital marketing analyst in the Chicagoland area.