Dear college graduate,
Congratulations! The good news: you are looking for a job in one of the hottest job markets on record, the bad news: there is more competition than ever!
You are going to be competing with the unlucky 2020 graduates, many of whom are still trying to find their first job.
Indeed reports that employees under the age of 25 were terminated during the pandemic at rates 79% higher than older employees, they were victim to first in, first out.
Grads-you will see many more jobs posted and Handshake reports postings were up 81% in March from 2020. Top industries for new grads: tech, financial services, education, and professional services. The most in-demand roles are for software developers, accountants, and data analysts.
The job market is as hot as I’ve ever seen it. You will need to stand out from the competition.
How can you do this?
- Don’t be afraid to network and reach out to people you don’t know
- Practice your virtual interviewing
- Explain how you’ve been adaptable during an unpredictable year
- Be ready to show your growth mindset and you are ready to roll up your sleeves and be a team player
- Treat looking for a job like a class because looking for a job is a job in itself