Question: What questions should I ask to ensure I have a productive networking meeting?
Answer: At Career Track Coaching(CTC), we feel it’s imperative to network during your job search to increase your odds in landing a job and building future relationships.
Listed below is a format you can use during an information networking conversation/meeting:
Opening discussion- if introduced through a family member, friend, etc, ask how you know the person? You want to start off with pleasantries.
Questions to ask:
- I know your time is valuable, I want to confirm, how much time you have today?
- How did you get into your field?
- Can you walk me through your career path?
- What lessons have you learned along the way?
- Based on your experience, what skills do you think are most important?
- If you did it all over again, what might you do differently?
- Do you know of anyone I can reach out to for more advice for a job in my field of interest?
- Do you have any advice on places to look for jobs?
- By chance is there an opening at your company? What is the best way to apply?
- Confirm and close on next steps if your contact is willing to connect you with others.
*** You should write a thank you note and connect on LinkedIn if you haven’t already