The job market is hot and I just received an offer from my second choice company. How do I handle this situation professionally?
Review the following tips to help you stall a job offer while waiting for another:
- Be grateful you received an offer
- Acknowledge the offer promptly
- Make sure you have a written offer letter to help review it and ask any applicable questions
- Ask for a timeframe they need a decision by …
- Ask for additional time because it’s an important decision
- Reach out to your #1 choice that you received an offer- be transparent
- Communicate with your #1 company that they are your top choice.
- Ask if they can speed up their interviewing process
- If not, I would accept the original job offer if it’s a good fit. Your career is a journey and you will be building your skill set while you wait for your top choice
- If your # 1 choice comes back to you with an offer down the road, depending on the situation, you can always accept the offer.