In today’s job market, it’s challenging enough to find your dream job and it could take an additional 3-6 months longer than usual to find one. Once you land your job, the last thing you want is to start off on the wrong foot. You worked hard finding this opportunity by networking, applying, interviewing, getting rejected, and persevering.
You want to set yourself up for success by implementing your first 30 day game plan:
- Be prepared before you arrive on day 1 by asking upfront questions to your future boss(dress code, where do go, etc.)
- Get a good night’s sleep….you’re done sleeping in…you will be getting up early and you need your brain power for all the new tasks you will be learning.
- Be on your best behavior…. first impressions are key!
- Embrace the introduction process…write down everyone’s name and connect on LinkedIn.
- Ask your manager – what should success look like after my first 30, 60, 90 days? If I have questions, who should I turn to and what is the best format?
- Review your personal and career goals weekly
- Ask for an informal review after 30 days. What am I doing well and what are areas I should improve upon?
- Get to know your colleagues. Go out to lunch once you’re back in the office.
- Find a mentor you can seek help and advice from especially during the on-boarding process.